If you are currently looking for an electric garage heater for your home, keep these tips in mind as you consider the different models currently available on the market:
- 1. Know the size of your garage and BTU requirements. It will be very difficult to purchase the right heater for a garage unless you know the exact measurement of the space you need to heat.
- 2. Bigger is not necessarily better.You may be tempted to get the biggest, baddest electric garage heater on the market for your garage. However, this is not necessarily and will ultimately just raise your power bill and may make the space too hot to enjoy.
- 3. Decide whether you want a permanently mounted or a portable electric garage heater. There are advantages and disadvantages to each design. With a permanently installed electric garage heater you will not need to worry about tripping over cords, or having it take up needed space in your garage. However, with a portable electric garage heater you will be able to move the unit easily to another location if desired.
- If you decide on a permanently installed electric garage heater, decide where you want it mounted. You will be able to have many models mounted either on the roof (the most popular choice) or a wall. You should try to mount the heater in the coldest area of your garage for it to be the most effective. Depending on the model, you may need for it to be professionally installed and wired.
- Know your warranty. If for some reason you need to return the unit or get it repaired, be sure you know what the manufacturer or seller covers. It can be pricey to repair many of the units, and you do not want to be stuck with the bill if your electric garage heater model turns out to be a unusable or not appropriate for your garage.
- Do your research. There are many types of electric garage heaters available, and prices can fluctuate widely between online and retail stores. Be sure to compare prices with a few different locations for the model you are most interested in so that you are sure you are getting the best price. Amazon.com often has some great deals. If you are interested in seeing some top recommendations, read my post “Electric Garage Heaters: What you Need to Know.”