Evaporative coolers are the most energy efficient and effective air coolers that can keep your living cool, pleasant and comfortable on a hot summer day. They are mostly recommended when you are located in a hot place where the atmospheric humidity is very low. So the evaporative coolers work well when the air in your environment is hot and dry. This is because of their dependency on natural principle of evaporation for cooling. To understand what your cooler does to cool your space, let us see how an evaporative cooler works.
How does an evaporative cooler work?
Evaporative coolers work using the simple natural principle of evaporation. At the time of water evaporation there is an exchange of heat and this principle is used as the method of basic heat exchange mechanism in your cooler. The atmospheric hot air is allowed to pass over water cooled cooling pads. When the hot air passes over cool water, evaporation happens which allows exchange of heat from air to water which thereby reduces the temperature of air. This tremendous amount of heat exchange causes a cooling effect on the air naturally without the use of any refrigerants or mechanical refrigeration. This natural method of cooling by evaporation is very environment friendly as it does not use any chemical or refrigerating agents.
How does the evaporative cooler unit work?
For the evaporative cooler unit to be functional you will have to first fill water in the tanks or if you model needs a supply connection from tap you will have to connect them accordingly. The unit operates by pumping water to the top of the cooling pads and passes the water over the cooling pad evenly and continuously. The hot and dry air is drawn in from the atmosphere and is made to pass over the water saturated cooling pad causing evaporation. The fan circulates the air and ducts it out to the living. The oscillating louvers work to control the direction of cool air flow in your room. The efficient functioning of your unit depends on the following factor
- Outside temperature: If the atmospheric temperature is high and the air humidity is low then the cooler can function very efficiently
- Cooling Pad Capacity: If the cooling pad or media of your cooler can absorb water well then the water evaporation will be better and hence will result in efficient cooling. There are mainly two types of cooling media – Rigid media and Aspen Media. The modern rigid media is thicker. It is available in 8” and 12” thickness. It can add more moisture to air. The age old aspen media is very affordable but is not thicker than rigid media.
- Water temperature: If the water added in the cooler is cool then the cooling efficiency of the cooler will be better. Adding ice can help in improving cooler efficiency. The cooling pads can be soaked in cold water before using the cooler. This will also aid in improving cooler efficiency.
What are the advantages of Evaporative cooler over an Air Conditioner?
As mentioned already, the evaporative coolers are very energy efficient and are very eco-friendly when compared to an air conditioner. They meet your cooling requirements in an efficient and very environment friendly manner by not polluting your surroundings with compressed refrigerant gases. Few advantages of evaporative coolers over an air conditioner from which you will benefit are listed below.
- Energy efficient: The evaporative cooler can operate with only 10% of energy required by your air conditioner. This allows nearly 90% savings in your monthly electricity bills while using an evaporative cooler instead of an air conditioner.
- Cost Effective They are lesser than half the price of an air conditioner. Both the buying and operating cost of an evaporative cooler is lesser when compared to an air conditioner. They also do not need expensive installation and maintenance like an air conditioner. They are easy to install and maintain on your own.
- Environment Friendly: As it uses water and not ozone depleting and toxic hazardous refrigerants like ammonia, Sulfur dioxide or Chloroflurocarbons, the evaporative coolers are very environmental friendly.
Though they cannot produce as effective cooling like an air conditioner, they are efficient enough to keep you cool home at a less cost. We would also like to introduce you to one of the best selling portable evaporative cooler of 2015 which is very efficient and cost effective in its operation
Luma Comfort EC220W Evaporative Cooler Review
This EC220W portable evaporative cooler from Luma is very efficient and cost effective in cooling spaces up to 650 square feet. It has a rated air flow capacity of 1650CFM and with this capacity the cooler can efficiently cool like an air conditioner. The most appealing factor is this cooler can function like an air conditioner using very less power. It has a tank capacity of 10.6 gallons which allows uninterrupted cooling of more than 6 hours. It has a powerful oscillating blower and is capable of cooling your room evenly and keeps it well circulated with cool air. It also cleanses your air by purifying dust and particulate matter using its dust filter. It has cooling pads on three sides and this provides better cooling than coolers with pads on only two sides. It is made with UV protected ABS plastic and is very durable and is resistant to rust and crack. If you are looking for an evaporative cooler that is as efficient as an air conditioner but is less expensive to buy and operate then Luma Comfort EC220W will top the list as best pick.