We understand that it is not an easy job to choose an efficient and smart cooler for your home. Unlike air conditioners which are not dependent on natural resources but nature harming resources for cooling, evaporative coolers are completely dependent on natural resources for their functioning. As they work on a natural principle one will have to consider certain factors for deciding if an evaporative cooler will be effective in his natural circumstances and environment. If so what kind of evaporative cooler will work best and what capacity he should buy for his space.
So to help you make this decision we bring to you the factors you should consider while choosing your portable evaporative cooler. The various features that one must check while buying portable evaporative coolers and things he should look for in his cooler are elaborated below in this guide for how to choose a portable evaporative cooler.
How to know if an evaporative cooler will work for your home or not – Factors to consider:
Location – The foremost factor you should consider is your location. If you are located in a place which is hot, dry and is less humid then evaporative coolers will make functional and effective cooling solutions for your home. Evaporative coolers use the natural principle of evaporation for cooling air; hence if the air is dry and has no humidity it will evaporate well and cause better cooling. If you are in a place where the humidity is high always or rains heavily, then evaporative cooler is not the best cooling solution for your location.
Water – If this natural resource is available in abundant or even sufficiently available to meet your needs, then evaporative coolers will make good choice for your cooling solution.
So if the above two factors are met then you can be assured that portable evaporative coolers will suit your home.
How to choose size of your Portable Evaporative Cooler:
It is important you choose correct size of cooler for your space. Make sure to check the data sheet of the cooler you choose to verify if it will work for the limits of your space requirement. You should also verify the air flow capacity of your cooler and see if it is sufficient enough to cool your room. If the CFM is low then it will result in unwanted waste of energy and inefficient cooling. For a room of 500 square feet with 8 inch floor to ceiling height, a capacity of 2000 CFM is ideal. You can calculate the CFM requirement by using the formula of (area*height)/2 for any space you need. This will give you an approximate idea of the CFM rating you should choose for your area.
How to know what features are promising and cool in your cooler:
- Cooling Media – The cooling efficiency of your cooler directly depends on the amount of water absorbed by your cooling pad or media. Thicker the media, more water it absorbs and more efficient the cooling. We would recommend you to choose a portable evaporative cooler with thicker media or pad.
- Water Reservoir Capacity – Most personal portable evaporative coolers have removable water tanks of mostly 2 to 6 gallon capacities. Make sure to choose one with an attached and removable water reservoir. A reservoir with low water indicator feature is very purposeful.
- Cooler Make – It would be advisable to buy polyethylene made outside cabinet than stainless steel as you can avoid the trouble of rust and corrosion in your cooler.
- Energy Rating – While coolers are energy efficient and consume only less power than an air conditioner, it is advisable to choose the best energy rated cooler for your home to keep the electricity bills and your environment in green zone.
- Air Purifier – Do check if the cooler you choose has this cool feature of air purification. Few types of portable cooler function to provide you with not just cool air, but clean and healthier air with moisture.
- Noise Level – It is important that the cooler you choose functions at minimal noise. Noise while running can be a big drawback and there are many models that produce very minimal sound like that of a running ceiling fan only. So check this feature in the cooler you choose.
Having seen the factors and features you should consider while choosing a portable evaporative cooler, we would also like to introduce you to one of the best selling portable evaporative coolers of 2015
Luma Comfort EC45S
This EC45S portable evaporative cooler from Luma is one of the elegant looking and efficiently functioning cooler which can cool up to 100 square feet with an air flow capacity of 250CFM. It has a tank capacity of 1.6 gallons and is very stylishly designed to look good in your living. It offers 3 fan speed modes and consumes very less power of only 45 watts. It produces efficient cooling and has automatic louvers to circulate cool air well in your living. It comes with functional remote and digital displays for easy usage. It also cleanses your air by purifying dust and particulate matter using its dust filter. If you are looking for a low budget cooler with promising features, stylish design and efficient cooling, you should consider EC45S for sure.