It is very important to clean and maintain your evaporative cooler well for it to function efficiently. While evaporative coolers consume only less power, maintaining it in good condition will make sure it works efficiently while consuming optimal power. Unlike an air conditioner which needs a technician or professional mechanic for maintaining it, evaporative coolers maintenance can be done by anyone.
You need not hire technicians or mechanics, a few simple steps and procedures will ensure that your coolers work cool for years together without many breakdowns and hindrances. We have brought to you the list of things that you could do to take care of your evaporative cooler and maintain it well for using it efficiently.
How to maintain your evaporative cooler:
- Maintain it clean – A clean evaporative cooler is an ideally efficient cooler. So maintain your cooler clean both externally and internally to keep it efficiently working. Also read below the instructional step by step list we have created for cleaning your evaporative cooler
- Maintain Water levels – Make sure to always operate your evaporative cooler with necessary water levels recommended for efficient cooling. If there is a low water indication, look to it and fill water in your cooler. Also ensure your float valve is working properly to avoid overflow of water and other issues.
- Maintain good water – Use water treatment tablets to maintain good water in your cooler. If you have hard water, then these tablets could be used to prevent excess mineral built up which may cause corrosion. This will help you control corrosion. Using good water also ensures that the air from your cooler is healthier. Alternatively, replace the water in your cooler at regular intervals to avoid bacteria built up and algae growth in your cooler.
- Maintain open air flow – Make sure to keep a window or door open when the cooler is functional, as a good dry air flow will ensure effective working of your cooler.
- Maintain Cooling Pads – It is vital you keep checking the condition of your cooling pads. Keeping them in good condition is essential for efficient cooling. Replace cooling pads when it gets cracked. While replacing cooling pads ensure that you seal and insulate them well.
- Maintenance before off time – Make sure to drain out the water completely and dry them off by running cooler in fan only mode for 30 to 60 minutes when you are not planning to use your cooler for few weeks or whenever you are packing it off after the summer. This will ensure there is no bacterial or algae growth in your cooler during its off time.
- Maintenance at onset off summer – Spend time to clean the cooler, verify cooling pads and float valve. Verify if the motors, fan belt and other pump parts are functioning properly.
How to clean your evaporative cooler:
- Exterior Cleaning – When your cooler is not in operation, clean the exterior side of your cooler with soft and damp cloth. A mild detergent could be used but avoid strong detergents and other cleaning agents.
- Interior Tank Cleaning – Drain out the water in the cooler completely. Rinse the tank with mild detergent water and later flush it out with clean water. Drain the waters completely before starting operation again.
- Cooling pad Cleaning – Check your cooling pads. If they have excess scale formation or are cracked up, then replace them. Also remember to wash the pad frames and retainer to remove scales which are formed and also clean for removing dirt.
- Motor Lubrication – If your model cooler does not feature forever lubricated motor, then make sure to lubricate your motor and blower bearings with oil. Check the fan belt tension.
- Clean Run – Fill up your cooler and check if it is functioning as it should be and make sure there is no excessive noise from the fan motors. Check if the cooling pads are evenly getting wet, to ensure your cooler will work efficiently.
You might wonder how often you should be performing this maintenance routine with your cooler. It is essential to clean it up at onset of summer before you start using it up for the hot season. And it is also advisable to clean your coolers once or twice between the summer and whenever you feel the water is smelly or the air is not moist enough. Most importantly it is important you clean your cooler before you pack it off for winter or when you are not going to use it for more than two weeks.
If you are looking for an easily maintainable cooler, then we would suggest you look at the following cooler.
SPT SF-608R Portable Evaporative Air Cooler Review
This Sunpentown SF-608R portable evaporative cooler Review is one of the easily maintainable cooler which can cool efficiently with an air flow capacity of 476CFM. It has a tank capacity of 2.6 gallons and is very functional and could be easily moved from room to room. It has dust filters which can be removed and cleaned easily. It also ensures that the cool air circulated in your living is clean and healthy. It offers 4 fan speed modes which are low, medium, high and sleep modes and also can be operated with remote controls. It uses very less power for its operation. If you are looking for a versatile cooler which is light weight and easily maintainable then SPT SF-608R will make a great choice.